Besides the obvious full range of vitamins, those who suffer with Celiac Disease usually risk lacking in vitamins K, D, & B. These missing nutrients can lead to serious health issues like: anemia, malnutrition and other serious issues. When planning meals, stretch out on a limb to find highly vitamin infused options. Those options are easy to come by if you just try to eat a balanced diet without getting into a rut with your food.
The Vita Vega Min Break Down
contained in green leafy vegetables like kale, collard greens, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts
There are of course many forms of vitamin B
also called riboflavin and is found in milk, meat, eggs, cheese and peas
also called niacin and is found in protein rich foods like meats, fish, brewer's yeast, milk, eggs, legumes, potatoes and peanuts
also called pyridoxine and is found in liver, meat, brown rice, fish, butter, and soybeans.
necessary for digesting carbohydrates and is found in liver, meat, egg yolk, poultry and milk
also called folic acid and can be found in yeast, liver, green vegetables
There are very few foods naturally with vitamin D in them. These are: fish, egg yolk, liver, beef, and swiss cheese.
Studies show us that multi-vitamins are the only way to insure that your child gets the most of all these vitamins. This holds true especially because non-wheat flours are not fortified and the link between gastrointestinal disorders and lactose intolerance makes the usual fortified milk not an option either.
Nutritional and Diet Plan Guidelines
- Commit to consuming 4 - 6 small meals and snacks everyday.
- To succeed, you must plan ahead by packing your foods the night before. Thus, you should always have fresh and low-fat foods around.
- Keep it simple. Don't get too caught up on the specifics or your diet. Start by simply just counting calories.
- Eat your foods slower.
- Make healthier food selections like fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals, and beans, low-fat or nonfat dairy products, low fat meats, fish and skinless poultry.
- Avoid foods that are high in fat and calories.
- Avoid foods that are high in sugars such as pastries, candy bars, pies and candy.
- Use a variety of fruits and vegetables in your nutrition plan. Start by trying to eat 5 total vegetable and fruit servings every single day.
And that my friends, is how you plan a nutritious meal plan for school lunches. Just a little food for thought because I refer back to it often.